Pages

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Talking Turkey About Giving Thanks




Did you know that Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey to be the national bird? It's true! In a letter to his daughter he wrote, " For the truth the Turkey is in comparison a much more respectable bird, and withal a true original native of America . . . He is besides, though a little vain & silly, a bird of courage, and would not hesitate to attack a grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his farm yard with a red coat on."



When Nathan was in Pre-K, there was a female turkey who would walk around the playground. She was VERY protective of "her" little ones. Anyone who came close to the fence where they played, she would hiss at them and ruffle her feathers. It was amusing at first, until the day I couldn't get near my son because Mama Turkey and I were having a beady eyed showdown. I threw a granola bar at her (using Ninja like skill) to distract and to give me enough time to claim my charge and get the heck out of Dodge.

Being Thanksgiving, let us not forget that it was Massachusetts where the first Thanksgiving was held. A celebration of peace and unity between the Puritans and the Wampanoag Indians in Plymouth (then called Plimoth). Nathan wrote a little story about the Wampanoags and what chores little boys and girls of the tribe did. To see the concentration of his writing, how he took the time to write everything down, is something I am very thankful for. 



There was a time in my life I did not give thanks for much of anything. I was very wrapped up in my own  selfish nuances, thinking I needed things to be happy. I truly did not know how to be happy, to be myself. It has only been in these past few years have I discovered who I am (which has always been there, I had left it in a hall closet in the back of my brain) and taken the steps to better myself as a person, and as a mother. 



One of these steps was to start this blog, which in some ways may be considered self serving (much like a second piece of pie), but it's also cathartic and necessary for me to do this. They say that Stephenie Meyer "heard" the story of Edward and Bella in her head and that it had to come out on paper. Eleanor Roosevelt's famous quote "You must do the things you think you cannot do." is a favorite of mine. This blog is one of those Cannot Do items that I turned into a Big Can Do.

I am thankful for my child, who has literally changed my life. I would not be the woman today without him. He inspires me every single day, he makes me do great and impossible things. I marvel at his brain and how it works. I am so proud of how far he has come. 



I am thankful for my family, even though they think I'm a little nutty, they love me. 

I'm thankful for my dear friends, who indulge my need for sushi, My Little Pony and Duran Duran and who love and support me. I bow down at your feet!

I'm thankful for Nathan's team, and his school, who have been nothing but spectacular. His 1:1, Mrs. L, is awesome and has been his para for two years. His previous para, Mrs. B, is phenomenal, too.

And where would I be without you folks? You, my readers, have been so incredible and encouraging with comments, reposting, retweeting, just about everything. I try to let you all know how much you mean to me and that you indeed are welcome here. Your feedback lets me know what works and what doesn't. I am still a bit of a n00b, but I am learning. And I learn from the best group of Ninja cheerleaders ever. 



And, for you, a little Thanksgiving message! 


(No I do not have a lisp, just a very S -sound glomming microphone on my camera!)


















No comments:

Post a Comment