Pages

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

(Micro) Interview with Shonda Schilling!




Now, I'm a New Englander and the Red Sox are HUGE here. One of my favorites is Curt Schilling, because he was such a fighter during the 2004 World Series. 


I mean, check OUT his sock! This was blood from the now famous Schilling Tendon Procedure which they did to keep his tendon from shifting around. The K ALS is a "knock out ALS" or Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis also known as Lou Gerhig's Disease. Gerhig was an incredible baseball player and a huge influence on Schilling. One of his children's names is Gerhig. 

So...when I find out that his amazing wife, Shonda, has written a book about her son, Grant, who has Asperger's...I get a CRAZY idea. I tried to find a way to ask for an advanced copy of the book so I can read, review and possible interview her. I mean, we had Boston, ALS (my mother and uncle had it), the Red Sox (my sister's husband works for them) and Asperger's Syndrome in common, I felt that my odds were still slim, but I had a small glimmer of hope that something awesome would come from it.

I did manage to get in contact with her, via her publicist, and she graciously sent me a copy of the book, which was poignant and touching. I was beyond psyched! This was an incredible event for me.  I had asked kindly if I could get an interview with Mrs. Schilling, just a few questions. Again, I didn't think that I would ever get my questions answered, but gently would touch base with her publicist and see if she would.

Well....my questions were answered! Please enjoy this amazing micro interview with Shonda Schilling!

1: Were there days you just wanted to throw in the towel? How did you get through those times?
Before the diagnosis there were many.  I could not wrap my head around his behavior and was at a loss for what I could do to make things better.  Afterward the diagnosis I learned to take deep breaths.  I accept that sometimes things might not go as planned and plan b would be in effect.  Not that it doesn't frustrate me or make me sad or catch me off guard, it is just my life now.


2. What are your biggest challenges with Grant now? What are your hopes for him in the future?

Right now it is getting on a schedule for school.  Reading doing homework.  He is in 5th grade now so the way he talks to adults sometimes is our new challenge.  I think he thinks he is one. 
And always being flexible in any situation. 

A post interview notation: I have nothing but respect and admiration for both Curt and Shonda Schilling and their stupendous publicist. I am deeply honored and grateful for this incredible opportunity. I LOVED learning about how a public figure dealt with such a discovery about their child and how the family rallied together and became even stronger. Being stronger and building our foundations is part of our Autism community and I am proud to be able to share this with the world.

3. What was the most difficult part of writing the book? 

Waiting for it to come out.  I was so afraid that people wouldn't get that this book is a book of love.  I was hoping they could see through the stereotype of me as a baseball wife and see that I had a beautiful story to tell. I had the support of my family all I had to do what write from the heart. When you do that the words come right out!

7 comments:

  1. love it, love the Red Sox, and LOVE their courage. Whenever I see her speak, you can tell this was a book about love. I'm very impressed by how open they have been (my love for Doug Flutie and his family is the same too :-)
    Thanks for sharing this. The more we talk, the better educated the world is.
    alysia

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait to get this book! Thanks for sharing and congrats on the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought my book today. I have only had it about an hour now and have made it about 1/2 way already. Can't seem to put it down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't heard of this book - can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Alysia: It is very much a book about love. I feel most books written about how autism affects a family's life truly is about love.

    We're very fond of Doug Flutie here, too and about spreading the word. We will keep talking and sharing. Thank you for reading and sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lisa, it was a great read, it was a page turner for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Brenda: It's a very touching book. I recommend it, go to your library and get it! :)

    ReplyDelete