Pages

Friday, April 1, 2011

Drama Lessons



It's been a rollercoaster here at the hacienda. The past month has been a whirlwind of activity, mostly surrounding me. Nathan has spent alot of time with me during rehearsals, which in part is due to me wanting to exposing him to other people. The benefit of this particular show was that I was only on stage for no more than 10 minutes at a time. When I wasn't on stage, I could spend time with Nate. Another mother brought her child and Nate had a friend who was his age who he could hang out with.

He was incredibly well behaved during this, which I know is not his first, second or third choice of things to do. He even ushered on opening night, making sure that no one got into the reserved seating section without a proper ticket. He was polite to others and even drew pictures for them. They were pictures of dinosaurs tearing each other apart with copious amounts of blood, but hey, he was interacting and that's what matters.

One night, Nathan watched me die on stage. Now, to be fair, he has seen this before and he knows that it is not real. We've had many discussions about people pretending to die and that it is only pretend. This particular death was a strangulation and then a stabbing, and I dramatically fall down dead. After we were done with the scene, Nathan came back stage looking for me. He asked me, "Mom, did that hurt when he strangled you?" I explained it to him that at no time was I being hurt. I showed him how he held his hand close to my neck, but never held it and that I grasped onto his wrist, so that it looked like I was being strangled.
Nate nodded his head and said, "Wow, Mom, you had a really good death!"

Yes, I did. And my son helped me be me, to which I am very grateful for. 


No comments:

Post a Comment