Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Hole-y Roller



I am having a problem with Nathan's clothing. He seems to like to rip it. Alot. I'm not sure how he's doing it, but from what I can gather, he's doing activities which will legitimately give him a rip in his pants. Then, he will continue to rip and tear and shred his jeans until  there is a hole big enough to drive a truck through.

I'm okay with small holes. That's wear and tear, that gives your jeans character. I'm not okay with built in airconditioning or what makes it easy to see what color underwear you have.

I'm thinking this is stimulating behavior. He did it the other night. I sent him to school with a pair of pants with a teeny tiny hole. This was fine, I figured, that's not going to migrate into a moon size crater, right?

I pick him up from afterschool and the leg with the hole had a HUGE rip in it, like a rift in the space time continuum. I was like, "What did you DOOOO?!?" He said, "I slid across the floor like THIS!!" I know that wasn't the whole story, but it gave me some idea as to why he's ripping up his clothing. 


 A little later, we had gone to Dunkin' Donuts to get a little something to eat before rehearsal for Annie. The lady gave us some extra munchkins. (By extra, I mean 15) and I left it in my bag. I told Nathan not to eat them all. 

What. An. Idiot. I. Am.

As rehearsal progressed, Nathan was running back and forth to my bag and gleefully eating munchkins one by one. I had no idea, as I knew he was going in the bag for food from time to time, as is his habit. I always pack good snacks for him to eat when we're away from home. I thought I had hid the munchkins well. Yeah, right. That kid has the ability to smell sugar like a heat seeking missile.  

When rehearsal ended, I looked at him and his eyes were as glazed as the donuts were, which were now in his stomach and his pants now had TWO holes. I could only imagine that the extra sugar made him anxious and stimulation seeking and he literally tore himself to calm.

I don't know how to address this yet, as I'm finally seeing WHY he's doing it. I need to figure ways to deal with it, and not always by buying him new pants. I mean, I have to buy him new pants, but he needs something else to help him with this need to shred stuff. 

I'm happy to take any suggestions! Leave comments & tips below!

No comments:

Post a Comment