Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

All About Balls!


Did you know that there are multiple definitions of the word ball(s)? Neither did I! I didn't know that it could be used as an adverb. The version I'm most familiar with these days is a slang term for testicles. 

I am a proponent of using the proper word for body parts. Since Nate was old enough to know and understand, his penis has always been his penis. Not his wee wee, pee pee, dickie, tally wacker, pickle, whatever. It's always been penis. I'm sure at preschool it was the talk of the lavatory when he would say, "I'm peeing with my PENIS!" 

He would refer to his testicles with the word "privates", which sounded so strange. I mean, I'm a big fan of using the right anatomical word, however, I do  not want Nathan to get his butt kicked for using foreign vernacular either. Being an Aspie makes that tough to begin with. Being a 10  year old boy makes it x 100 more difficult. 

Cue awkward parenting moment...

Nate tells me of boys at camp talking about their "privates" but they use another word. I ask him what it was, he was too shy to say. I grin to myself, because I'm about to embarrass and yet possibly impress my son at the same time. I ask, "Is it balls?" His eyes get to be the size of saucers and he says, "Oh my god, Mom, please don't say balls!" I asked him why and he said, "MOM, you're NOT supposed to know that word!" 

For most of the summer, he has been saying balls quite frequently. He told me of a water balloon fight one day and he said, "I got hit three times, and one time, right in the balls! It hurt, Mom!"   I cringed and laughed at this for a few reasons. 

1. My son is OLD ENOUGH to actually use it properly. 
2. My son is hanging around kids that SAY it to EACH OTHER. 
3. My son knows that he HAS balls. 
4. My son knows that it HURTS when they are kicked.  

That reality is harsh, man. 

I win for Mother of the Year because the other morning driving to camp, I sang the tune to the Imperial Death March from Star Wars using only the word balls. Think about it...





Anybody else in a similar situation? Have your Aspie using some creative vocab? Please share it with me!

2 comments:

  1. OMG! Well, my son is nonverbal, and low functioning. I haven't had that conversation with him, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is the challenge with autism, is that you'll have those type of conversations when you least expect them. :) thank you for sharing, Tammy. :)

    ReplyDelete