Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Paranormal Activity



I had Nathan over the weekend to do some school shopping. I had to change my weekend mode to boy mode. So, I spent some time finding cool things for us to do. I asked if he wanted to go to a minor league baseball game where there would be pirates. I mean, who doesn't like pirates? I'm actually friends with some of the pirates...




But I digress...


I had remembered hearing a review of the movie "Paranorman" on NPR and how it was good for older kids. Sometimes kids movies can be really thin on plot and are kitschy and loud. I showed this to Nathan, as he had already bagged on the pirates idea and said, "OH MY GOD, MOM. That is EPIC!" Also there was zombies. 

I took this as a good sign. 

Another good sign was he was checking on the time about...every 15 minutes. "Mom, is it time to go yet?"
"Mom, what time is the movie?"
"Can we go now, Mom?"
"MOOOOM...we're gonna miss the MOVIE!"

We got in the car and headed to the mall, which is about 20 minutes from our house. We stopped to get a bite to eat first at Pizzeria Regina, delicious pepperoni, sausage and ham slices. We hit up 5 Below for contraband movie snacks (we're on a budget!), then to the theater.

The theater itself wasn't that full, probably 20 or so people in total. I think Nathan was the oldest kid. Some little ones were there, probably 5 years at the most.  

I won't give away too much, but there is a boy named Norman who can see and talk to ghosts. He's the only one in town who can do this, so he's portrayed as quite an outcast. He is given a huge task, which again, I can't really reveal, but during this, Norman has to come to terms about his own identity, who he is and why he is different and how he comes to terms with it. 

This scene when it happens is very intense. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone under 10, as it's pretty scary and it's alot for them to process. Nate clasped his hand around my arm and squeezed a bit. He put his head on my shoulder and whispered, "Paranorman and I are the same." I kissed Nate on the forehead. 

After the movie, Nathan said that he is different like Norman and wants people to know how it's cool to be different. I think that also has to do with zombies, but I'm very okay with that. I'm happy to see him visualize how other kids, even fictional ones, struggle with the same things he does and that there are good things waiting on the other side. 


1 comment:

  1. I have known you for a long time now and also known a little about Nate from what I have seen in other posts. I didn't think too much about it.

    Then I changed majors to Secondary Education. This semester I have a class in Special Needs Education (or as much as they can fit into a General Education curriculum). As helpful as it is to read about it (and read accounts from other parents), it helps to have a more personal connection to it.

    Thank you for what you are doing and have done.

    ReplyDelete